DNA and genetic testing are currently gaining importance as an integral part of modern science and medicine. Understanding our genetics means understanding the basis of our unique biology. This can explain why certain diets, medicines or sports work well for one person but not for another, and why it is more about the fine-tuning to the individual than mass marketing to all. It is these minor differences to our DNA that can alter the very way our body functions, metabolises food or even uses energy during sport that can have a major effect on our overall health, weight and athletic performance.
Genetic testing is normally used as part of a nutritional therapy consultation and is a way of tailoring advice so that it is specific to that person. By understanding how our bodies work at a cellular level, our advice can be very specialised and accurate.
DNA analysis looks at SNP’S which are known as ‘functional variants’. These differences therefore affect a molecular pathway in the body which might influence the way a particular enzyme or receptor works. DNA testing does not test for disease, but uses nutrigenetics to look at the interaction of particular genes or SNP’s with foods, nutrients and environmental elements, which together could be implicated in disease risk.
Nutritional Therapy seeks to make changes to both diet and lifestyle to support the body and its individual genes. By eating well and appropriately for our body and by exercising at the right level for us, it may be possible to influence the extent to which these genes can affect our health.
Who is it suitable for?
It is suitable for anyone interested in finding our more about their unique genetic make-up and discovering what makes us different from each other. By understanding more about our genetic make-up, we can then adjust our diet and lifestyle to suit our individual needs.
The 3 most popular tests look at:
- Overall health
- Fitness and sporting potential
- Diet and weight management
What to expect?
- You will be given a home testing kit which is easy to follow.
- DNA Testing is non-invasive, meaning that it uses a sample from the cheek or Buccal cells using a simple swab. The swab is put into a specially provided tube and is returned directly to the laboratory for analysis.
- Results take around 3 weeks to process.
- Your results will be sent to your practitioner for interpretation.
- You will receive a 60 minute consultation where your results are fully explained to you with nutrition and lifestyle advice and a supplement plan (if appropriate).
Which test is right for me?
Depending on your requirement, I use a combination of 2 laboratories for my clients. I match the requirements of each person to the test, however my most popular 3 tests are as follows.
DNA Life – DNA Health
This is an overall health check which takes a closer look 9 main areas of our overall health and metabolism. DNA Health tests 34 genes that are associated with general health and well-being. This particular test looks at the following areas:
- Cardiovascular health
- Vitamin B metabolism (Methylation)
- Oxidative stress
- Insulin sensitivity
- Bone health
- Food responsiveness (caffeine, lactose, salt sensitivity)
- Iron metabolism
DNAFit Diet Professional
By helping you understand your unique genetic profile, DNAFit Diet provides unparalleled insight and knowledge to help you make the correct nutrition and diet choices. This test offers the following information:
- Optimal diet (Mediterranean, low-fat, low carbohydrate etc.)
- Carbohydrate and saturated fat sensitivity
- Detoxification potential
- Antioxidant requirements
- Personal vitamin and micronutrient requirements
- Salt, caffeine, gluten and alcohol sensitivity
- Lactose intolerance
- Coeliac predisposition
DNAFit Fitness Premium
Fitness premium is designed for anyone wanting to take their sport to the next level. DNA Fitness premium can help you to reach your true sporting potential with minimal risk of injury. This test is aimed at the elite, as well as the recreational athlete looking to gain maximum return from training effort. Of particular interest are athletes who have responded below expectation where the key to their performance may lie in their genes. A closer look at injury risk and recovery speed can offer vital information about how to train smarter with less chance of injury. Whether aiming for a marathon best of just seeking to finish the race, DNA sport is a vital tool in achieving athletic potential. This test gives the most information when teamed with DNA Diet Professional.
This test looks at the following areas:
- Power vs endurance
- Aerobic potential – VO2 Max
- Recovery speed and post-exercise nutrition programme
- Recovery nutrition programme
- Injury and inflammation risk
DNAFIt Diet and Fitness Pro
This test combines the DNAFit Diet Professional and DNAFit Fitness Premium test to give you everything you need to know about your diet, health and sport genes.