Carrot and Hazelnut Soaked Oats
I love trying to eat vegetables at breakfast. Carrots are an easy breakfast choice as they are naturally sweet. Oats contain soluble fibre to lower cholesterol and are also a good source of protein (12-15g / 100g). Oats keep up full-up for longer. Brazil nuts are rich in selenium which is necessary for the thyroid gland and pumpkin seeds contain magnesium, manganese, zinc and iron which are easily lacking in a modern diet. chia seeds contain omega 3 fats and help our digestion as they are a rich source of soluble fibre.
- 200g Oats
- 400ml Milk ( dairy or non-dairy, I like almond in this)
- 50g Pumpkin seeds
- 25g Chia seeds
- 6 Hazelnuts, chopped
- 6 Brazil nuts, chopped
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 1 apple, grated
- Drizzle hazelnut oil, optional
- Take a large jam jar and add all the ingredients, except the apple and carrot
- Mix well. The mixture should be quite runny at this stage
- Leave in the fridge for 4 hours or better still overnight
- Before serving, stir in grated apples and carrot (these can go in overnight, but may discolour slightly) and top up with more milk if mixture is too thick. Drizzle with hazelnut oil.
This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days